Wednesday 5 September 2012

Watermelons.

Posted by Unknown at 6:32:00 pm
It was our last evening in Singapore, Dad and I. My dad wanted some chai, so we walked along the Beach Road, looking for some nice place. We chose a nice table, outside a restaurant, and my dad picked up the menu.

Hmm.

Chai.

Where is it?

No.

Not this chai.

I don't like it.

I won't have it.

Wow! Watermelon. I will have watermelon instead.

We looked around, and an Indian guy came to take our order. "Watermelon, " my dad said happily, and he got us just that. Slowly, they got to talking and we found out that

that

this guy was brought to Singapore from India on the pretext of a 'good job' and was ordered to wait tables then. I did not think much of it then, but I have never forgotten him, for some strange reason. I can imagine his excitement, of moving to another country and working, seeing new places, having a good life. And how shattered and crushed he would be with what he got.

Treachery.

And my dad, like he always does, my dad gave him the most fantastic advice.

He told him to stick it out.

He told him to be strong.

He told him, that sometimes in life, we do come across such situations, that the best thing to do is to face it with all you've got.

And when you have no other option, then be very, very strong.

He smiled. The kind of smile that said, I'm trying sir, I'm trying. It's very hard, and sometimes I want to give it all up, sometimes I want to quit, sometimes I completely break down. But I'm still here sir, meeting you. I'm still trying.

That smile said it all.

Said it all. 

I'm smiling too.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

No Way To Treat A Lady Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei